This post contains products that were sent to me for my consideration. Go here for my disclosure policy.
Makeup Geek Burlesque is one of those eyeshadows that can be a bit intimidating when you first look at it. I mean, burgundy? What on earth can you do with burgundy? Turns out, once you start playing, it’s more neutral than you think.
While Makeup Geek Burlesque is a gorgeous all over the lid shade for those heavy hitting kind of eye days, my favourite way to wear it is in the crease. It’s got just enough brown in it that it’s super wearable, but it’s just red enough that it adds a touch of play. It certainly made this neutral-lover feel daring.
If you’ve never tried any of Makeup Geek’s shadows, let me tell you this – you will never find a more affordable, high quality eyeshadow. They are $5 (USD – so that’s a bit more in Canada now than it used to be…) and are of similar quality to Urban Decay and MAC. I actually prefer the two MUG eyeshadows I have to either my MAC or Urban Decay shadows in terms of quality – they are buttery smooth, highly pigmented and easy to work with. They are definitely beginner friendly and come in a rainbow of colours. Not to mention that they are cruelty free!! Yeah Makeup Geek! (Can you tell I’m a fan?)
The only real downside to anything from MUG is the dollar conversion (not their fault) and the cross border shipping, which can result in customs charges. (Also not MUG’s fault.)
Get the Look!
- Smashbox Photo Ready More than Primer: Blemish Control
- Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin (old formula)
- Marcelle BB Cream
- bareMinerals READY powder
Brows & Cheeks
- tarte 12-Hour Blush in Irreplaceable (from Holiday 2014 palette)
- Pixi Beauty Bronzer in Subtly Suntouched
- Annabelle Cosmetics Big Show Brow Liner + Highlighter
- Urban Decay Half-Baked Eyeshadow on the lid
- Purple Crease shade from Wet n Wild Petal Pusher Color Icon Eyeshadow Palette on the outer v
- Too Faced Salted Caramel (from Chocolate Bar palette) as a transition shade & on lower lash line
- Annabelle Cosmetics Eyeink2 Liner
- Lâncome Hypnose Star Mascara